Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir
French proverb: It's better to prevent than to heal.
•To create and implement early education geared initially to youth ages 11 and older, on prevention of substance abuse.
•To empower youth, their families and the community with age appropriate education to make healthy life decisions based on scientific knowledge and evidence based studies.
•To create and implement programs, events, materials and other educational tools that can be used in school systems and other educational venues to teach substance abuse prevention at an early age--beginning locally and expanding nationally and globally.
•To use social media, presentations, lectures, professional teaching seminars, events and other resources to impart this information.
•To organize a Central Coast Alliance for Substance Free Youth.
STRUCTURE OF ORGANIZATION
OUR CURRENT PROJECTS
1. SLO County School Curriculum: We have consulted with the Rand Corporation to assist in implementing comprehensive substance abuse prevention curriculum in our schools beginning with 7th and 8th grades. We have sent information to all County schools suggesting this free online program.
2. Videos/Public Service Announcements: Targeting youth geared to ages 11-14 years old.
Goals for 2020 include airing PSAs on substance abuse prevention.
2. Social Media/Website: We continue to provide a Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, other social media presence with our message. We have kicked off our Podcast series and are set to record new segments: stay tuned. www.brainstreampodcast.com. We are also planning to expand our website to be a County resource for teachers, families, parents, youth, law enforcement, politicians, and all other professionals.
3. Materials: POSAFY is creating an info Kit on substance abuse prevention, beginning with everything you should know about today's marijuana. We are also providing Brochures, Stickers, Mailers, Key chains, Clothing, etc. with our message.
4. Presentations/Events: On Zoom or in-person, we address school assemblies, health classes, after school programs, continuing education, parent forums, professional education, etc. We are equipped to provide speakers to all ages, including parents, service clubs, community events, in-service trainings.
5. Today's Marijuana and Opioid Epidemic: We are providing education for youth, families and communities on the dangers of today's marijuana on the developing brain. We are aware of the current Opioid epidemic and considering ways to best educate on prevention of Opioid abuse.
6. Tobacco: We have recently expanded our efforts to better address continued tobacco addiction, particularly when mixed with marijuana, and the harms to our youth and communities. This includes education on the dangers of vape pens and vaping.
7. Alcohol and other drugs: POSAFY is working toward having a comprehensive information on our expanding website to educate on the harms of all drugs, including tobacco.
8. Pickleball: Pickleball Group for POSAFY. We believe that keeping kids engaged is healthy, productive and can help lead them on safe and sober paths. Our goal is to provide encouragement in community participation, teach positive respect and self-esteem, along with game skills and enjoyment. We are in the process of developing a pickleball program.
We are located on the Central Coast of California.
We are a group of concerned individuals who see a need that is not being filled. Youth, as young as 8 years old, are already facing substance issues.
We are encouraging schools to implement a 7th and 8th substance prevention curriculum, and to involve parents and community. We are also creating social media videos and memes, offering presentations and working toward a dialogue with youth. Eventually, we hope to encourage schools to adopt the Michigan Model that teaches empowering youth with skills, self-esteem and positive decision-making--from kindergarten through high school.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
Jody Belsher, MA Addictive Disorders
Mila Vujovich-La Barre, Educator
John W. Belsher
CAL POLY STUDENT REP
Mike & Becca Sciocchetti
CUESTA COLLEGE ADDICTION STUDIES
CUESTA COLLEGE REP
CUESTA COLLEGE STUDENT REP
SLO BUSINESS OWNER/PARENT
ALUMNI FOR RECOVERY
SLO COUNTY BEHAVIORAL HEALTH
POSAFY is also tasked with creating a Central Coast Alliance for Substance Free Youth.
Children who are educated on the dangers of substance have a far greater chance of making healthier choices when faced with the prospect of using substances. We CAN make a difference! In fact, we MUST make a difference.